Setting a maximum character length for a Rich Text and Text Area Custom fields is currently a limitation tracked under Enhancement 66573. As an alternate solution, create a Workflow that will return an error when the preferred character limit on a field is reached.
- Navigate to Customization > Workflow > Workflows > New
- Basic Information:
- Name: Enter WF Limit Character
- Record Type: Select Transaction
- Sub Types: Select Sales Order
- Execute As Admin: Enter Checkmark
- Release Status: Select Released
- Initiation: Select Event Based
- On Create: Enter Checkmark
- On View or Update: Enter Checkmark
- Trigger Type: Select -All-
- Contexts: Select User Interface
- Trigger On: Select Before User Submit
Note: Replace fieldID with the Field ID of the Custom Field.
- Text: Enter The maximum characters allowed on this field is only ___