After you log in, you can set preferences for how you sync. This includes
- Choosing which record types you sync.
- Setting criteria that determine which records are synced.
- Choosing how conflicts between records are resolved.
- The frequency and direction of synchronization.
Some NetSuite for Outlook preferences may be preset by your account administrator, making it so that you cannot change them. You can still view these locked preferences in the client configuration, but they are grayed out.
Step 1 of 3: Role and Record Selection
In the first step of the configuration, you can select the role you want to sync with, choose the types of records you want to sync and whether you want to sync email from Outlook into NetSuite or not.
To choose your role and the record types you want to sync:
1. Choose the NetSuite role you want to synchronize with.
2. Check the box for each type of record you want to sync with Outlook.
3. Click Next.
Step 2 of 3: Contact, Event, Task, and Phone Call Synchronization Settings
In this step of the configuration, you choose how contacts, events, tasks, and phone calls are synced by NetSuite for Outlook.
For each of these records, you can choose how often records are synced, which Outlook folder you want to sync with, and whether records are marked as private in NetSuite. You can also set criteria to determine which NetSuite records will sync with Outlook.
Use the following procedures for each of the record types you have chosen to sync.
To set record synchronization preferences:
1. Under Synchronization Settings, in the Synchronize fields, choose how often sync occurs and how each record type is synced between Outlook and NetSuite.
You can choose to sync from Outlook to NetSuite, from NetSuite to Outlook, or in both directions.
2. If you created folders in Outlook for the records you want to sync with NetSuite, select the folder in the Outlook Synchronization Folder field.
If you sync from Outlook to NetSuite, all records stored in this folder will sync with NetSuite. Phone calls are synced to the same folder as events.
3. In the Conflict Resolution field, choose how NetSuite for Outlook resolves situations where information on a record in NetSuite differs from the information in Outlook. You can choose the following:
- Ask Me – You are prompted by the client when there is a conflict and must choose which data you want to use.
- Use NetSuite – NetSuite for Outlook uses the data from NetSuite.
- Use Outlook – NetSuite for Outlook uses the data from Outlook.
4. For contacts, in the Restrict contact sync to field, choose which contacts you want to sync. You can choose any of the following:
- My contacts – If you are syncing with a sales rep role, you only sync contacts associated with your customers. If you are not a sales rep, this selection syncs only contact records you created.
- My and my team's contacts – If you are syncing with a sales rep role, you only sync contacts associated with your customers and associated with your subordinates' customers. If you are not a sales rep, this selection syncs only contact records created by you or your subordinates.
- Do not restrict – All contacts are synced.
5. For contacts and tasks, check the box under the Conflict Resolution field if you want contact or task records to be marked as private when synced to NetSuite.
6. For events, check the Sync Event Reminders box if you want to sync reminder settings.
7. Click Modify Criteria to define which records you want to sync between NetSuite and Outlook. This enables you to control which records that are synced into your NetSuite account.
8. To set a filter:
- In the filters dialog that opens, select a field, and set the criterion for those records in NetSuite that you want to sync to Outlook.
Repeat this for each criterion you want to use to define which records you sync.
When you finish defining criteria, click Save.
The criteria are now listed under Contacts Filter Criteria.
9. Click Next.
To remove criteria later, click Modify Criteria, and then click the X next to the criterion you want to remove. Then, click Save.
Step 2 of 3: Email Synchronization Settings
After you have configured contacts, events, tasks, and phone calls, you can choose which records in NetSuite you can save Outlook email to.
Your selections here determine the types of records that are presented to you in the message pane when you are writing or viewing email.
You can choose to save email to contacts, customers, jobs and projects, opportunities, estimates, sales orders, invoices, and support cases.
Step 3 of 3: Saving Your Client Configuration
After you have configured NetSuite for Outlook, you are presented with an estimate of the number of each type of record that will be synced when you save your configuration.
NetSuite for Outlook can sync a maximum of 3000 records at a time. If the number of records to be synced exceeds this, the Close and Sync button will be disabled. If this occurs, click Update Synchronization Settings and modify the filter criteria, such as the Start Date, to reduce the number of records to be synced. If the settings are locked, inform your NetSuite administrator.
Popup notification lets you know that sync has begun and also when it is completed.
You can also select how frequently NetSuite for Outlook will check for and notify you about updates:
Manual – Check for updates manually by right-clicking the NetSuite for Outlook icon in your system tray and clicking Check for Updates. This option also displays when NetSuite for Outlook was last updated.
Daily – This enables NetSuite for Outlook to automatically check for updates daily and display a notification in the system tray if an update is found.
Monthly – This enables NetSuite for Outlook to automatically check for updates monthly and display a notification in the system tray if an update is found.
If you need to make changes to your settings, click Update Synchronization Settings to go through the configuration again.
You can then choose to sync your records immediately, or you can close the configuration and sync later. This initial synchronization can take a few minutes to complete.
Resetting Your Sync
If you make changes to your sync configuration, you should reset your sync so that NetSuite for Outlook checks all records for possible updates.
To reset your sync:
- Right-click the NetSuite for Outlook icon in your system tray.
- Click View Sync Log...
- In the Sync Log popup, click the Reset this sync link for each record you want to reset the sync for.
- Click Close.