If the Payroll feature is enabled, users who have access to employee records can view the employees' payroll information via the Payroll subtab. Hence, administrators prefer to create their own custom role to restrict their employees who are using the specific role from areas such as Payroll, or any financial / transaction records.
Restrict from Employee Records
1. For new role creation, navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > Manage Roles.
2. Select your preferred standard role e.g Accountant, CEO, Marketing Manager, Sales Person or Manager, Support Person etc.
3. Once decided which standard role you'd like to provide, click Customize link in line with this role. See screenshot below:
4. Accountant role will be the sample. Once clicked, assign your preferred name for this role under NAME field.
NOTE: As you can see, this role has already has its default permissions added which was built or designed for Accountant role in the system.
You may change its LEVEL (View, Create, Edit, Full) or remove the entire permission. For more information regarding access level, click this link: Access Levels for Permissions
Kindly check the two solutions below before applying it on your system:
I. TO RESTRICT THE ENTIRE PAYROLL RECORDS AND EMPLOYEE INFORMATION
5. Under Permissions tab of the role setup, click Lists subtab.
6. Remove Employees, and Employee Record permissions by clicking then line then hit Remove button. See screenshot below:
7. Click Save once you are done removing/adding permissions for this role.
NOTE: Please see the attached file for the NetSuite Permission Documentation guide. This will show you the list of all permission in the system including the description and which tab should it be added.
II. TO RESTRICT THE ENTIRE PAYROLL RECORDS BUT ALLOW ACCESS OF EMPLOYEE INFORMATION
NOTE: A custom form must be set up where Payroll subtab is hidden. This custom form should also be locked so users will not be able to switch to other employee forms.
1. Navigate to Customization > Forms > Entry Forms.
2. Click Customize on Standard Employee Form (should not be a Payroll form)
3. Rename this form under NAME field as this will be exclusive form for the restricted roles only. Uncheck the "FORM IS PREFERRED" checkbox.
4. Under Subtabs, uncheck the SHOW checkbox for Payroll, Payroll Bank Details (if there is), Tax Info, Leave Info, Supperannuation
5. Under Roles tab, mark the PREFERRED box for your preferred role that must be restricted from accessing employee payroll information.
6. Under Fields tab > Main subtab, uncheck the SHOW checkbox for CUSTOM FORM field. This is to prevent users from switching to another form where Payroll tab might be visible. See screenshot sample:
To assign this role to a user, click the link to open: How to Assign a Role to a User
I. The role will not be able to see Employee records and pull up any information related to Payroll.
II. The role will be able to see Employee records but will not be able to pull up any information related to Payroll. The newly created employee form will be the default form when they use the role and will not be able to select any other forms e.g Jcurve Payroll Form